in your living room is exactly what the doctor ordered. Taking a whiff of ... Feel free to practice your morning sun ... Water Infusions book. ... create a pre-made shower blend for easy usage. .... This really incredible 2-minute Ayurvedic meditation.
Dr. Mariza’s Top 11 Self Care Wellness Rituals
With Essential Oils
Do you ever forget to take care of yourself? I have a feeling that the answer is yes. When we stop prioritizing self-care, everything else follows suit—your confidence is depleted; your energy is zapped; you may be operating in a mental fog, where it’s hard to care about anything or anyone. Self-care is an important part of our wellness ritual, and it often goes by the wayside in our overscheduled, hyper-connected world. Consumed by “being busy,” we often forget to take time for ourselves to take care of our bodies. We tend to place other people’s needs before our own healthcare needs and suffer the health consequences over time. These consequences wreak havoc on our mood, energy, sleep, weight and overall quality of life. Practicing self-care rituals creates mindfulness and brings balance into your life. You’ll feel more connected to yourself and the world around you. Rituals are designed to help us celebrate moments of magic wherever we are. Every aspect of life is punctuated with ritual: To indulge in self-care, connect with nature, surround ourselves with beauty, thrive in community and experiment with new healthy lifestyle practices that enhance the quality of our lives. When we attune ourselves to what I call the magic of being present, wherever we may be, gratitude allows us to honor each moment as sacred and show up with grace. When establishing self-care rituals, essential oils can act as a bridge for maintaining and supporting daily and weekly habits. Essential oils allow for you to indulge your senses to deepen your moments of relaxation and rejuvenation. Essential oils act as adaptogens to support mood, hormones, immune system and overall homeostasis. They can be calming and energizing, while supporting your body on a cellular level. In this guide I will share my favorite recipes, and protocols to enhance your self-care rituals.
Morning Rituals: Set the Tone for Your Day Your self-care routine is all about setting the tone for your day! Each day we get to choose the day that we are going to have and morning rituals really allow that to come into reality. This is when you have your opportunity to choose your speed for the day. Not every day is the same. If you wake without a morning routine, you will be subject to a random speed, depending on your coffee intake and blood sugar level. Set your body and mind for success in the morning with rituals that will support you throughout the day, especially when you have a lot on your plate. Here are some powerful rituals to consider for your first hour of the day.
1. GRATITUDE JOURNALING Taking a moment to write down what you are grateful for in life is arguably one of the most important steps of your morning routine, in my opinion. This is something that I have been doing for years and can’t imagine starting my day without this ritual. This step is about personal growth, making positive daily change and contributing to your self-care first thing in the morning. And it only takes 5-10 minutes. All you need is a notebook or journal, a pen and my favorite essential oil Abundance Blend. This blend awakens the mind, turns on the happy endorphins and centers you to start your day.
2. ESTABLISH A MEDITATION PRACTICE Set up a sacred space in your home where you can sit in silence and tune inward. Deep breathing and focused concentration slows down brain waves, making them more organized. It allows us to activate the parasympathetic nervous system, releasing endorphins in the blood stream and allowing the brain to emit “happy” hormones! This helps us to have presence, peace of mind and maintain a practice of gratitude. Meditation can be 2 minutes, or 20 minutes, depending on your time and need. Use the Abundance Blend, or even just Wild Orange to start your meditation practice for brain-boosting benefits.
ABUNDANCE BLEND 2 drops dōTERRA Frankincense 2 drops dōTERRA Wild Orange 1 drop dōTERRA Peppermint Before beginning your gratitude journal, or meditation ritual, add the blend to your hands, rub your hands together and take 3 deep belly breathes with these oils your hands. You can also substitute Sandalwood for Frankincense if you prefer.
3. EXERCISE AND YOGA Moving your body in the morning is great for feeling energized, loving your heart and getting focused on the tasks for the day. A 10-15 minute brisk walk, or 5-10 minutes of yoga in your living room is exactly what the doctor ordered. Taking a whiff of peppermint and grapefruit essential oil will help energize your mind and body. YOGA SUN SALUTATION: Practicing at least three Sun Salutations in the morning is a wonderful way to awaken your body, to stretch, to say good morning to each of your muscles. It’s also a great way to know your body and its limits since in the morning we are “raw”, so to speak — our muscles still need to be “warmed”. Be gentle with yourself. Feel free to practice your morning sun salutations with knees bent in Uttanasana (forward bend), and knees on the floor in Chaturanga. We all have something going on in our bodies, be it sore shoulders, sore knees, or a sensitive spine, so taking a few minutes in the morning will set you up for success the rest of the day. DETOX AND RENEW WATER INFUSION ½ cup cucumber sliced 1 lemon sliced ½ cup blueberries 2 drops dōTERRA Lemon In a small bowl, muddle blue berries. Combine muddled blue berries, lemon and cucumber slices into a 2-quart pitcher along with 1.5 liters of water. Add doTERRA lemon oil and stir. Refrigerate for 3-5 hours before serving. May be consumed at room temperature, or chilled with ice.
4. GET HYDRATED Make water a priority every morning. Without starting your day with adequate water intake, we are likely to remain dehydrated for the rest of the day and feel sluggish. Hydrating your cells with 1-2 pints of water (16 – 32 oz.) first thing in the morning is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Drinking water first thing in the morning helps with mental clarity, energy and mood. This is without saying, that when we hydrate first thing in the morning, we are replenishing fluids lost from sweating, urinating throughout the evening and the significant need for water for our cells to function properly. Dress up your water with an infusion of herbs, essential oils and fruits. I have included one of my favorite recipes from my Water Infusions book.
*Keep refrigerated and consume within 2-3 days.
5.DAILY GREEN SMOOTHIES Drinking green smoothies every day is one of the easiest and best habits you can have if you want to see an improvement in your energy levels. Drinking your green smoothie for breakfast is also a great way to start the day. It only takes a few minutes to prepare and this is my absolute best daily habit/tip that will increase your nutritional intake by an entire 700%. I take my green smoothie on the go each morning, or sip on it as I start my morning. Fueling your body in the morning is the best way to set yourself up for success. Now if that is not convincing enough, a daily green smoothie can also increase your fiber intake, ramp up your fruit and vegetable intake, and of course support your energy levels. The green smoothie recipe I am sharing is a super simple, energy boosting smoothie that anyone can make at home. Not to mention delicious – it’s called Popeye Goes to Thailand and combined spinach, mango, mint and coconut water for a truly refreshing way to start your day. Just place all of the ingredients in a high speed blender, and blend until smooth.
6. SHOWER RITUAL We all shower sometime during the day to clean our bodies. If you typically take a morning shower to wake up and feel refreshed, here is a great ritual for you. Each morning when you take a hot, steamy shower, add 2-3 drops of an essential oil blend to breathe in. This 2-minute ritual will open your respiratory airways, sending oxygen to the body and brain, awaken your senses and energize you. Before getting in the shower grab 1-3 essential oils, or a blend, that really resonate with you that day. I recommend using invigorating oils such as Grapefruit, Wild Orange, Peppermint, and Eucalyptus, or create a pre-made shower blend for easy usage. Here is a great shower blend to use for your next shower. It reminds me of the living on the coast.
POPEYE GOES TO THAILAND GREEN SMOOTHIE 3 handfuls of spinach 1 cup of frozen or fresh mango 15 mint leaves 1/2 cup frozen or fresh strawberries 1/2 banana 2 cups of coconut water (or filtered water) 2 drops of dōTERRA Lemon essential oil 1 drop of dōTERRA Wild Orange essential oil This is just one way to use essential oils in smoothie recipes. Play around with your favorite fruits and vegetables to create a delicious and energy boosting smoothie that fights off fatigue and tastes amazing at the same time! PRO TIP: Blend spinach and coconut water by themselves first for the smoothest consistency.
COASTAL LIVING SHOWER BLEND 2 drops dōTERRA Frankincense 2 drops dōTERRA Cedarwood 1 drop dōTERRA Rosemary 2 drops dōTERRA Wild Orange
7. ADORN YOUR WAY TO A GOOD MOOD
SUPERWOMAN BLEND 12 drops dōTERRA Sandalwood 12 drops dōTERRA Clary Sage 8 drop dōTERRA Ylang Ylang 8 drops dōTERRA Bergamot Place the number of drops, per recipe, in a 10 mL rollerball and then fill to the top with your carrier oil of choice (fractionated coconut oil, or almond oil). Roll the blends over your pulse points: neck, ankles and wrists.
There is a science (“enclothed cognition”) about how what you wear influences the way you feel. Reframe “getting dressed” in the morning to “adorning yourself,” and the moments you spend preparing yourself for the day are charged with ritual. Dress for the mood you want to embody. For example, just because it’s dreary outside doesn’t mean your wardrobe has to be. Dress your way to a better mood, starting with your most intimate layers — your underwear — with undergarments that are beautiful and feel good against your skin. Bold accents like scarves or hats can infuse personality into your wardrobe and jazz up any look. I take this ritual a step further and adorn myself throughout the day with mood boosting essential oils. In your morning “adorning ritual”, choose a blend of oils that will support your mood for the day. I love adorning myself with essential oils that make me feel good. Apply these oils on your pulse points: wrists, ankles, neck/collar bone. Be your own alchemist and choose a blend that resonates with your mood and abundance mindset. Essential oils that are wonderful to combine are Clary Sage, Bergamot, Jasmine, Sandalwood and Ylang Ylang. Here is a beautiful “Super Women” roller bottle blend for inspiring your inner Rock Star!
Evening Routine 8. THERAPEUTIC BATH The sea is nature’s medicine. Preparing a therapeutic sea salt bath helps to support clearing out toxins from your body and can cleanse and ground you when you feel “spaced out” or overwhelmed and not at home in your own skin. Check out my recipe for a quick and easy bath below: Fill your bathtub with the warmest water you can stand and soak for 20 minutes only. Any longer and your body may reabsorb the toxins you have released. Rinse off the remaining salt on your body in the shower.
BATH SOAK RECIPE 1 cup sea salt 1 cup epsom salts (or magnesium flakes) 1/2 cup baking soda Essential oils of your choice (Frankincense, Lavender, Clary Sage, Ylang Ylang, Cedarwood)
RELAX AND RESTORE BATH BLEND 2 drops dōTERRA Lavender 2 drops dōTERRA Frankincense 1 drop dōTERRA Clary Sage
9. LATHER UP Once you finish Your therapeutic bath, finish the ritual off by indulging your skin with healthy, moisturizing oils. As you know, what you put on your skin enters your bloodstream. I recommend a shea butter and coconut oil blend to keep your skin moisturized and radiant throughout the year. Since you’ll use so much, it’s most affordable to make this recipe at home and then indulge in a special facial product that you love. For deep skin nourishment, apply this easy-to-make body butter recipe with either Wild Orange and Peppermint to awaken your skin, or Lavender and Geranium to calm and soothe your skin.
Other suggestions for a 5-minute self-love ritual after the Therapeutic Bath: Scalp Massage with Lavender and Rosemary : promotes relaxation, memory, and healthy hair. Combine these essential oils with coconut, or avocado oil for a nourishing oil treatment. Self-Love Massage with Almond Oil/Coconut Oil and your favorite muscle soothing essential oils : White fir, Lavender, Cypress, Wintergreen, Frankincense. Focus this self massage on the neck, trapezius muscles, temples, shoulders, and let the tension of your day melt away.
HOMEMADE BODY BUTTER 1 cup unrefined Shea butter 1/2 cup coconut oil 1/2 cup almond oil (or any other oil) 20 drops dōTERRA Lavender 10 drops dōTERRA Geranium Heat shea butter, coconut oil and almond oil together over a double boiler. Cool mixture to room temperature, then refrigerate for an hour or so. Once solid, whip with beaters until smooth. Store in a glass or stainless steel container.
10. THE MIRROR EXERCISE
Affirmations: I am enough I am worthy and deserving I trust myself I allow myself the abundance I desire I forgive myself I am a powerful manifestor I was born to create my dreams
I love this evening ritual before bed to really conclude each day with abundance, appreciation and love. This 3 minute exercise is a very powerful and transformative experience and it’s worth trying for 30 days to experience some incredible changes in your mindset. How the mirror exercise ritual works: Find a mirror in your home, such as the bathroom, or your bedroom mirror. You will want to find a private space for this ritual. The purpose is to make eye contact with yourself in the mirror. Next you are going do 3 things in the mirror. The first thing you will do is acknowledge your wins and accomplishments for the day. After you have acknowledged your wins, you are going to declare your affirmations. I included some core affirmations below to incorporate, but feel free to create your own affirmations that are true for you and your life. And the final part of this ritual is to say “I love you.” Feel free to make the mirror exercise more transformative by incorporating essential oils before you begin the ritual. Essential oils that are beautiful for elevating this ritual are: Jasmine, Frankincense, Bergamot, Melissa and Ylang Ylang.
11. SET THE MOOD FOR SLEEP Our nightly ritual involves using our essential oil diffusers to help everyone in the house wind down. There are so many wonderful calming blends that you can create, depending on the mood you want everyone to experience. DIFFUSER CALMING BLEND 2 drops dōTERRA Clary Sage 2 drops dōTERRA Lavender 1 drop dōTERRA Cedarwood
As you are heading to bed here are a couple of rules for preparing for a good night’s sleep. Put away electronics about an hour before bed and either have a nice conversation, or read a book before bed. Apply oils to your sheets and pillows with a spray bottle, and set the lighting to dim so that your sensory system is prepared for sleep. I also like applying oils to the back of the neck, wrists and bottom of feet. Great oils for a restful night’s sleep are Vetiver and Lavender. Apply these oils to your hands and take in 3 deep belly breaths, or diffuse them by your bedside while you are falling asleep.
Bonus: Alternate Nostril Breathing Ritual We all know the importance of breathing. When we are under stress, breathing is the first thing to become shallow and strained. I encourage all types of breathwork, as it is capable of purifying the body and its 7 energy centers or chakras, giving movement to energetic blockages or patterns and moving spirit through the body. One of my favorite breathing practices is Alternate Nostril Breathing. This really incredible 2-minute Ayurvedic meditation technique is very powerful at reducing stress levels instantly. I recommend using calming essential oils to increase the effectiveness of this meditation. Try Bergamot, Frankincense, or Clary Sage. HERE’S HOW TO DO IT: Start sitting in a cross-legged position, facing east or north. Apply a calming essential oil like Lavender, or Clary Sage to your palms. Exhale all air. Close the right nostril with the right thumb, and inhale slowly and deeply into the belly through the left nostril. Pause. Close the left nostril with the ring finger, release the thumb, and slowly exhale through the right nostril. At the end of the exhalation, inhale through the right nostril, then close it with the thumb and exhale through the left nostril. This creates one round. Begin with 2 rounds and gradually increase to 10.